Circuit Racing originated in the USA during the 1960’s, it has only appeared in the UK since 1991. Two types of craft are raced, Monohulls and Hydroplanes. All boats within this Section employ a surface piercing propeller drive system producing the characteristic rooster tail which is a hallmark of this type of model boat racing.
Racing takes place on an oval course 120 metres long by 20 metres wide and navigated in a clockwise direction.
A typical days racing would start with ‘booking in’ at 09:00 with racing starting at 10:00. Generally consisting of four heats per class, and each heat consisting of three phases.
- Phase 1: ‘Pit Time’ during which time the engine can be started and the boat launched, navigating the course in a clockwise direction. Phase 1 lasts for two minutes.
- Phase 2: ‘Milling Time’ this phase lasts for 30 seconds, the idea being to position your boat to cross the start line as close to the end of milling time as possible to gain the best start.
- Phase 3: ‘Race Time’ where all eight boats race against each other to complete the required number of laps first.
Points are awarded for each race position, 1st place is awarded 400 points down to 25 points for a race start but did not finish. At the end of the Race Day, Points are added for each Class to obtain overall positions.
When racing at an MPBA Circuit Section Event, the internationally recognised iMBRA Rules are applied. All MPBA Members are eligible to race at an event.
A full list of events is published in the MPBA Yearbook and updates in Propwash and online. If you have any questions or require more information about this ever growing section of model boating, please feel free to contact us and we will be only too pleased to help.
Elmbridge NDC R1
14th April 2019
1st round of the 2019 MPBA Circuit Drivers Championship
Recent Circuit Posts
- 2019 Circuit Season Preview 27th December 2018
- MPBA members in the medals 5th August 2018
- Elmbridge Circuit NDC R4 19th July 2018
- Elmbridge Circuit NDC R2 14th May 2018
- MPBA Race Hub 17th April 2018
- Elmbridge Circuit 2018 R1 16th April 2018
- NAMBA Winter International 2018 23rd January 2018
- MPBA GB FSR-H Team for iMBRA 2018 24th September 2017
- MPBA British Masters 27th June 2017
- Circuit Championship Tables Published 21st May 2017